[SATLUG] phone recommendations

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Mar 9 12:28:29 CST 2011

Thanks to all who responded on this thread. I am stuck with Verizon since
they are the only outfit providing service in remote locations of Montana,
where I need it a lot.

Right now I have a family plan that costs me $100 incl. all taxes and
fees for all lines, but data is not included, texting is unlimited.
We never go over the voice limit since all calls to mobile devices -
essentially all calls for us - are not counted against our limit. I ended
up getting a very basic phone (Samsung convoy) which is not fancy but
is shock and dust resistant. And, even though the service guy said it
couldn't do this, I can use it as a dial up modem to get internet and to
fax from my linux laptop using regular airtime, without a plan! Using a
USB cable (came with the phone) I can hook up over ppp. While this is
not 4G, it is good to have out there in Montana when nothing else is
available :-) -and it is free (on nights and weekends).

-b.