[SATLUG] Belkin Omniview Hell (yes, linux related)

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 12:19:21 CST 2011

Hello SATLUG:

I'm hoping that someone here can help shed some light on what the heck
has caused any Belkin KVMs to freak out when I bring them home.

My current configuration is that I have a Belkin Omniview Pro 8 port
PS/2 KVM connected to several machines:

1 Linux box aka "littleblackbox" via a PS/2 to USB adapter (embedded
platform, native PS/2 not available), running Ubuntu Server 8.04LTS
(yeah, it's old, upgrade is on "the list")
Another linux box running Ubuntu 10.04 and connected via PS/2 on the motherboard
A Windows XP box (yeah, I know, boo hiss and all that) also connected
via hardware PS/2 ports
A testbed box that is giving me fits
another Linux box running Centos 5
Another Windows XP box

So far, I've noticed that regardless of which machine I'm on, the KVM
will randomly freeze up and will require a manual reset via the front
panel control.  The testbed was in the middle of an install when I
noticed the below message in the installer syslog:

atkbd.c spurious ACK on isa0060/serio0 input AT Translated Set 2
keyboard on isa0060/serio0

Once this message pops up in syslog, I have to manually reset the KVM.
 Something of note is that when this happens, the keyboard's hotkey
(Scroll Lock) stops responding.

Unfortunately in Windows, I am given no such helpful information, only
the keyboard stops working but ironically the mouse works. I can VNC
to the box so I know that the box itself isn't locked up.  This
behaviour has been witnessed on the linux hosts that have X installed
but for any CLI-only box, I have no way to tell.

I've replaced the keyboard and mouse, cables and even the KVM
(borrowed one from a friend) and it still continues to happen.  Some
research seems to indicate that 2.6 kernels freak these things out,
but all I've seen is forum chatter and nothing formal and concrete.

Have any of you guys experienced this issue? Did you manage to find
out how to fix it? Better yet, anyone know where I could score a cheap
8 port PS/2 KVM that doesn't do this to my computers or at the least a
six port if there is such a beast?  I've considered a USB style KVM as
these are much cheaper however some embedded platforms don't have the
luxury of USB and I'm really weary about how *nix boxes would handle
the disconnecting/reconnecting repeatedly of devices.

Thank you in advance

FIRESTORM_v1