[SATLUG] Open Source Fest ?

mark mark at kandm-solutions.com
Tue Mar 15 08:40:50 CDT 2011

Yes lime-wire or bit-torrent apps are on about 95% of the infected
machines that come in. I remember doing a job for a small company which
included virus/malware removal on one of their machines. They asked me
what programs they could run to remain virus free. I recommended a
couple of security apps but told them the biggest thing they could do
was stop  running bit-torrent (they were). I got a call from the guy who
got me the job (he was also an IT professional) a little later saying
that I had not completely removed the infection. I asked him to check if
they were running bit-torrent again and he said yes. So I told him that
he was wrong. I informed him that if they continued using bit-torrent to
download questionable material (they were downloading music, apps and
other copyrighted material) they would continue getting infections.

The job taught me that many IT people out there as bad as the users.