[SATLUG] Open Source Fest ?

Don Davis dondavis at reglue.org
Tue Mar 15 16:36:13 CDT 2011

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 8:45 PM, steve kolars <bkfuth at gmail.com> wrote:

> The best open source stats package: R!

I agree completely.

<snip>
As for SPSS

> > alternatives PSPP works really well.

There is a Linux PSPP which is similar to SPSS; however, I found it a bit
awkward.

> But a student version is included in
> > many stat textbooks.

I believe many stat textbooks may have PASW as well (basically a temporarily
gratis version of SPSS).

<Chris>
I will have to check it out. Will it open spss data sets?
</Chris>

SPSS exports to CSV and XLS. R can open both of these. My experience has
been that CSV worked better.

I think it's better not to think of R as an SPSS alternative but rather as a
program that goes beyond SPSS. Much the way Gimp goes beyond Paint.
http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/thumbs.php?sort=votes
http://www.statmethods.net/index.html