[SATLUG] ISP for Small Business with Linux

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 17:26:27 CDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM, Liz Hare <doggene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hi Borries,
>
> Thanks so much for your quick response.
>
>> I am using Time Warner cable and my cable modem supports DHCP - I don't
>> need
>> Time Warner to support Linux in order to use it. What specifically do you
>> need from ATT that is only available under Windows? It would seem their
>> service would be similar, i.e., supporting DHCP on a cable or DSL modem.
>
> Well, I'm using GRML and it's not detecting anything. I've tried using all
> the tools like grml-network, and I'm not able to get connected. I contacted
> tech support at AT&T and they wouldn't talk to me at all about "unsupported
> hardware" and suggested that I contact some affiliated company that would
> charge me for tech support. I was really hoping they had some kind of
> document with configuration information. I haven't been able to find a good
> HOWTO or anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Liz
> --

I get this treatment every 12 months or so when I switch from AT&T to
Time Warner or vice-versa to keep my cost down. The customer support
is equally bad on either. Time Warner was really bad in the last
transition. Several just hung up on me. A couple of them did recommend
I call Linksys Support which is not free.

What I have to do is remember the process to enable my Linksys router
on each service, DSL or Cable modem. This is why I keep my old service
active until I make the switch. I usually have to go out on the
Internet and find a "go-by". These "go-bys" are also disappearing as
the old-timers fade away. Apparently most people have one instance of
Microsoft Windows somewhere to use to set up the account.
AT&T uses the PPPOE protocol but you have to have the account setup at
AT&T so you can get the user name and password or use Microsoft
Windows and the AT&T software. Finding a friendly Customer Service rep
who will set up the account for you is difficult. You have to get an
"old-timer". They deliberately don't train the new people to know how
to do that.

For Time Warner it is different. You have to go into the router and
set up a MAC address for Time Warner to connect to.
I found this by Google search the last time. They (whoever they are)
claim it is also on the Linksys site.

In both cases I have to know how to get into my Linksys router from my
network and then either have the AT&T user name and password for my
PPPOE account or know how to set a MAC address that works for my
Linksys router and the Time Warner ISP service.

The third alternative is what they really want you to do. Buy one of
their routers. They do support those.
Once the AT&T account is set up you are up and running. The Time
Warner MAC address would be set for you in their router or else they
will help you with that if you are on a Windows PC.