[SATLUG] ISP for Small Business with Linux

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Mar 17 19:43:07 CDT 2011

> Hi Borries,
>
> Thanks so much for your quick response.
>
> > I am using Time Warner cable and my cable modem supports DHCP - I don't need
> > Time Warner to support Linux in order to use it. What specifically do you
> > need from ATT that is only available under Windows? It would seem their
> > service would be similar, i.e., supporting DHCP on a cable or DSL modem.
>
> Well, I'm using GRML and it's not detecting anything. I've tried using
> all the tools like grml-network, and I'm not able to get connected. I
> contacted tech support at AT&T and they wouldn't talk to me at all about
> "unsupported hardware" and suggested that I contact some affiliated
> company that would charge me for tech support. I was really hoping they
> had some kind of document with configuration information. I haven't been
> able to find a good HOWTO or anything.
>
> Thanks,
> Liz

Liz,

I am not sure exactly how you connect to your cable modem. At my
home, I have the cable modem plugged into a wireless router which
puts all my network devices behind a firewall onto a private network
(192.168.1.x). This router (an old trusted Linksys WRT54GS) is retrofitted
with hyperwrt + Thibor. It can be accessed through a web interface and
configured for various protocols you may have with AT&T, others on this
list can tell you which one is appropriate:

1. Automatic DHCP (which is what I use to pull an address for the router from the ISP)
2. Static IP
3. PPPoE
4. PPTP
5. L2TP
6. Telstra Cable

On the private network end, the router just acts like a DHCP server for the
various internet devices you may have, desktop, laptop, ipod, wifi phone, printer, etc.
All of these connect via DHCP to the router. After connecting your linux box to the
router with a cat5 ethernet cable I would suspect all you need to do then
is to tell your linux box to pull a dhcp address from the router over the ethernet card.

On my linux distro (slackware) you can do:

dhcpcd eth0

or

dhclient eth0

or whatever ethernet interface you are using. This may be a bit different on
a different distribution, but should work essentially very similar.

Let us know at which point you get stuck, and others here on this list can also
make suggestions.

Good luck, -Borries