[SATLUG] AT&T to introduce data caps on DSL

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 02:18:46 CDT 2011

After reading this article---
"Cutting the Cord on Cable TV's Pricey Monthly Bill"
<http://www.walletpop.com/2011/02/22/savings-experiment-cutting-the-cord-on-cable-tvs-pricey-bill/>
I was really looking forward to cutting the cord on my pricey Cable TV
bill and using my Internet connection to make up the Content
difference.

After reading this second article I am not so sure it will happen---
"AT&T to introduce data caps on DSL"
<http://news.cnet.com/8301-30686_3-20042839-266.html>

[Article excerpt]
To put this type of usage into context, Comcast says on its Web site
explaining the policy that customers would have to do any one of the
following to exceed its 250GB cap:
<http://www.comcast.net/terms/network/amendment/>

Send 50 million e-mails (at 0.05KB per e-mail)
Download 62,500 songs (at 4MB per song)
Download 125 standard-definition movies (at 2GB per movie)
Upload 25,000 high-resolution digital photos (at 10MB per photo)

Being an old retired guy who likes old movies I easily watch 5 or more
movies a day on Cable TV. 125 standard-definition movies is about 4
movies a day.
This means the alternative to Cable TV might be more expensive?
I looked really hard at MythTV and other Myth and DVR alternatives but
could not get excited. Lots of maintenance issues plus there has to be
a ready source of Content for them. Netflix is only $8-$10 per month.
Any quality differences? There is pride of ownership and lack of DRM
harassment.
Now with the download caps coming does this affect DIY DVR's?