[SATLUG] ISP for Small Business with Linux

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Fri Mar 18 16:52:33 CDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 14:13, Liz Hare <doggene at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am just setting up a Linux machine for research applications and
> discovering that ATT doesn't support DSL for Linux, and I haven't been able
> to find any work-arounds.

Time Warner and now Comcast "Work", but I had to clone the MAC on the
router with the PC's that used to set up initially to minimize issues

> It doesn't look like Clear supports Linux, but I'm not sure if you can work
> around it.

Have not tried Clear, but Sprint 4G/3G works with certain modems out
of the box, but I did have to edit some of the kernel source files and
recompile the edited module (depending on the distribution) to get the
appropriate driver to recognize the PCI:ID and load automatically for
newer modems.  Once the modems have been out for a bit, the kernel
source usually catches up.

HTH,
John