[SATLUG] ISP for Small Business with Linux

Zeb Fletcher zeb.fletcher at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:45:38 CDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:18 PM, Christopher Connell <
connell.christopher at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Time warner with my own dlink router

This gets brought up every so often, and people are confused by what it
means by AT&T not supporting Linux on DSL. AT&T will not help you trouble
shoot your network problems if your using Linux, it doesn't mean Linux will
not work on AT&T DSL. So when you go and call customer no service and they
start reading from their script on how to open ipconfig and ping the network
and you tell them sorry I run Linux the conversation will most likely end
there.  One of the others problems in the past was AT&T was shipping out DSL
Modem as part of a home installation kit and once you received the modem you
needed to configure it with the login information you were given when you
signed up, the problem is that the configuration software was web based and
written in such a manner that it required Internet Explorer to activate your
modems.

I personally run multiple OS's on my AT&T U-verse DSL. I have Ubuntu, Win7,
Win XP, Mac OS X, and also my Android Phone and Kids iPOD touches and the
wifes Nook. The only one I have any problems with is my Mac, for what ever
reasons the wifi drops out a lot, but I think its more to do with network
saturation, started happening when I added the touches :(

Zeb