[SATLUG] FAFSA application

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sun Mar 20 20:57:44 CDT 2011

> 	So my girlfriend and I were trying to our FAFSA applications online.
> The site was down for "maintenance" for a few days. When it came back up
> and I tried to go fill out my application I got an unsupported browser
> error. It wouldn't let me fill out the application. It said that I
> wasn't using a standards compliant browser. It also showed a list but
> the only requirement I didn't meet was the operating system. It only
> supports Windows and Mac.
>
> 	I sent them some comments about about requiring me to use an operating
> system that costs money in order to fill out an application that is
> supposed to be free. Also for telling me I am using a browser that is
> not standards compliant when my browser is, so is my operating system.
> That they are requiring the use of operating systems that are not
> standards compliant.

If you need impartial verification if a site is adhering to standards
just past the URL of the page in question into this site:

http://validator.w3.org/

If the site is not adhering to the standards it claims you will get a
full error report :-)

So, if you are talking about http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/, then just the front
page has 11 errors and 3 warnings, plus it doesn't adhere to a strict interpretation
of HTML, it fails even for XHTML 1.0 transitional.

So don't feel so bad if this site tells you that you aren't adhering to
standards - it's clearly their problem. A well-designed html document should
be readable on pretty much any browser and any operating system.

-Borries