[SATLUG] Datapipe networking with ssh port forwarding

Christopher Lemire christopher.lemire at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:44:18 CDT 2011

Hello SATLUG, I need some help if anybody sees what I am doing wrong. I am
trying to connect my irc client from my computer to an irc network but not
directly to it. After googling, I found a project on github.

https://github.com/bovine/datapipe/blob/master/datapipe.c

<https://github.com/bovine/datapipe/blob/master/datapipe.c>It compiled fine.
I found instructions in the comments of the source file.

I will try to explain the best I can what I am attempting to do. If my
computer is called A, another computer called B and the irc server is called
C. I would like to connect X-Chat to localhost:60000 and as a result, my
computer, A is connected to C with B as a go-between. So I logged into B
with ssh.

main201:~> ./datapipe
Usage: ./datapipe localhost localport remotehost remoteport
main201:~> ./datapipe 129.115.28.161 60000 irc.freenode.net 6667
main201:~> nc 129.115.28.161 60000
:gibson.freenode.net NOTICE * :*** Looking up your hostname...
:gibson.freenode.net NOTICE * :*** Checking Ident
:gibson.freenode.net NOTICE * :*** No Ident response
:gibson.freenode.net NOTICE * :*** Found your hostname

So I know that part is working because I tested the connection with
netcat. 129.115.28.161 is the lan ip address of computer B (ip of device
eth0). Now in order to connect my computer, A, to the irc server C, through
B, I think I need to create a ssh port forwarding tunnel. B does have an ssh
server.

I attempted to do this by running this command on my computer A.

ssh -l user -L 60000:10.71.0.254:60000 <domain of B>

10.71.0.254 is the LAN ip of my computer A for the device wlan0 (the one I
am connected to the internet through).

Then I set X-Chat to connect to localhost:60000. The connection is refused.
Somewhere I must of made a tiny mistake, but I haven't been able to figure
out where I went wrong.

If anybody can help, please do. Thanks.

Ubuntu 64 bit Linux Raid Level 0

Gnu Privacy Guard Key Fingerprint = 3E1A 9103 EF3D 4885 6866  E9DE C69F 18B3
E13B 0909

Web: http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com
Jabber: recursivequicksort at jabber.org