[SATLUG] OT Laptop Overheating

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri May 6 11:38:06 CDT 2011

I suppose someone has taken it apart and cleaned out the cooling grids and
fins? Made sure the heatsink is properly seated and covered with heat
conducting grease? Cooling fans are working? Those are the obvious things
I would check first. On my old Dell I needed to run a special applications
to make the cooling fans kick in - it could be configured to start at a
given
temperature and run at 3 different speeds, depending on load - maybe you
can find something equivalent for the HP. I think it was called i8tools or
something like this - my memory is foggy on this one.

-b.