[SATLUG] OT Laptop Overheating

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Sat May 7 13:35:08 CDT 2011

On 05/06/2011 08:08 PM, Nathan Oxhandler wrote:
> Tried to run without the battery under Windows.  Ran about 35 min.  Running a test now using Puppy so I do not have to access CD or hard disk.  Will let you know what happens.
>
> Nathan
>
> ----- "Alan Lesmerises"<alesmerises at satx.rr.com>  wrote:
>
>> As I recall, that was the problem with a bunch of batteries made by
>> Sony
>>
>> (I think?).  A co-worker had one of the suspect batteries, but he was
>>
>> able to run without the battery installed (plugged-in, of course)
>> until
>>
>> he had a new one shipped.  Maybe your friend should try that and see
>> if
>>
>> the problem persists.  If it goes away, then you'll know it's time for
>>
>> new battery.

Not surprising that manufactureres have not learned that E x I = P and
that P / T = watt hours whan you can convert to heat.

While the "new" batteries can hold a "charge" for a long time at low
usage levels, they generate (some can generate) a lot of heat at high
usage rates which can break down the batteries themselves and ruin their
usfulness in short fashion...and infact they can start a fire.

There have been some very good papers written on battery usage in the
bast  year to 18 months in various journals.

Walt