[SATLUG] File comparison utility

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Sun May 8 22:14:51 CDT 2011

On 5/7/2011 10:27 PM, gerald sherette wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2011 19:40:21 Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a good GUI-based file comparison utility, one that
>> can handle large numbers of files, and can display the results in
>> various ways (e.g., files that are the same, files that are different
>> (and show what those differences are), files that are in one location
>> and not the other, etc.
> meld works very well for file or directory comparisons and includes many
> extras
>
> http://meld.sourceforge.net/
>
> --
> jerry

Thanks for the recommendation, but ...

I downloaded & installed it, then ran it.  I'm trying to verify that the
files I copied off a questionable drive were uncorrupted (so that I
could safely reformat & test the old drive), but it didn't seem to
work.  It comes up with the directory compare, and seems to verify
whether the directories are the same in both locations, but it doesn't
seem to be trying to read the files themselves (at least not from the
external drive -- the activity light on the USB adapter stays off).

I had also tried kdiff3, and that seems to have some of the features I
was looking for but not nearly enough.  And that also seemed to have a
problem if you wanted to look at the differences between files that
didn't match.

Any other suggestions?

Al Lesmerises