[SATLUG] OT: RAID drives

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed May 11 17:48:38 CDT 2011

I have a general question about RAIDs that I haven't seen an answer to
... yet.

How closely do the drives need to match in a RAID, when you're looking
for replacements for drives that are in an existing RAID?

Specifically, I have several identical drives in a RAID 5, but only 1
spare right now.  In searching for sources for additional spare drives,
the specific model drive I currently have doesn't seem to be readily
available (not unless you're willing to spend huge amounts of $).  But I
can find some drives that are pretty close to the ones I already have.
So the question is:  How close is close enough?

  - How close does the new drive need to be (in terms of capacity)
compared to the drive it's replacing to keep from totally screwing-up
the RAID?

  - Do they need to be the same speed (7200 vs 10k or 15k), or does that
make much difference (in terms of data integrity)?  I do recognize that
one slow drive could create a bottleneck, at least under _some_
circumstances.

  - Are there any other considerations I should know about?

What do you think?

TIA

Al Lesmerises