[SATLUG] OT: RAID drives

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed May 11 21:34:22 CDT 2011

On 5/11/2011 7:20 PM, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On May 11, 2011, at 5:48 PM, Alan Lesmerises wrote:
>> How close is close enough?
> How much do you care about performance?
Performance is not a big driver since there is only a few computers that
will be accessing the RAID for data backups.

I should have also mentioned that it is a hardware RAID (Adaptec I2O
controller).

The drives I have now are Seagate Cheetah Ultra 320 SCSI ST3146807LCVs,
and the ones I'm looking at are Seagate Cheetah Ultra 320 ST3146807LCs.
The specs look essentially identical, but if like you said -- sometimes
the OEMs re-use the same model numbers but with slight changes -- the
differences could be enough to matter.

Thank you for such a thorough consideration of my question (you must
have started typing as soon as my original message went out!).

Al Lesmerises