[SATLUG] Linux from Scratch vs New Kernel in Linux Mint 10

theoneghost at gmail.com theoneghost at gmail.com
Mon May 16 15:37:27 CDT 2011

I'm trying to decide if I should go through linux from scratch, or just build a new kernel for the distro I'm using now. Does anyone have some advice? I've got a VAIO VPCS131FM, and it has a few compatibility issues that seem to be taken care of in 2.6.38.6. I've also had a bit of trouble finding a decent walkthrough on compiling a new kernel that's more recent than 2008. Linux from scratch has always appealed to me though, and I though maybe I could just build a framework on exactly what my laptop has while learning a bit more. Any warnings or words of encouragement out there on playing with the kernel? I've got a ghost copy of my current hard drive, so I'm not worried about losing anything.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T