[SATLUG] Serving music

Robert Waldo rjw6844 at gmail.com
Sat May 21 22:51:15 CDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 2:30 PM,  <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>    I'm trying to set up my own music server, and thought you(all) might
> be able to give me some good suggestions.
> I'd like to make my music files available to me via the internet (or
> local LAN), and playable on some kind of media player: currently this
> would be something like mplayer, vlc, or Clementine, running on a PC.
>   So far, I have set up  icecast (icecast2) to do the serving. It seems
> to work kind of like a web server for media, and it does work, but it
> expects you to connect to a URL that is a single file, and then the
> music (or whatever media) is streamed to you. I can make a directory
> full of music available as an icecast mount point, then select various
> subdirectories and files within that, but I have to select each
> individually: I can't get a "directory listing" of available music
> files. So I can select "open stream" in vlc, select or enter
> "http://myserver:8000/music/song1.mp3.m3u" and it will play that mp3
> file. After that, if I want another, I've got to specify it separately
> in another open operation.
>   So I'm thinking that maybe there's a missing piece here: something
> that either runs on the server and provides a playlist or directory of
> available media, preferably searchable, or else some client that can
> interact with the icecast server to do the same thing.
>   Or maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here, and there's some other
> way of serving the music that I haven't considered.
> I admit I haven't read the entire icecast manual, nor have I done an
> extensive survey of all the media serving options out there. I think I
> checked out a few prior to installing icecast, but don't remember the
> details. I will be researching this more on my own, but I figure in the
> meantime, let's see what the knowledgeable folks in the SATLUG can tell me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Frank Huddleston
>
> This does not answer any of your questions. However,  about yr or so ago someone on the list mentioned  http://www.last.fm/   ..  I went there and liked it cause you can set it so it will build a library tailored to taste. The drawback is usually in 20min or so they flash a popup that asks if u still listening and if you do not respond it stops the stream.
>
> Recently Rhythmbox and Banshee 1.6.1 have added a link to your library stored on Last.fm and will play all night if you wish. I love having music playing while I am researching or working detail. This makes it so easy to get past the time periods where most stations streaming are blabbing same news of destruction over and over.
> hh

A few months ago I installed Subsonic on my Fedora box at home.  I've
been very happy with it: even able to listen to music on my
Blackberry.  It's very easy to configure.  There's only one draw back
- until you make a small donation - there will be a few advertisements
somewhere on your webpage.  Look at it here:
http://www.subsonic.org/pages/index.jsp

good luck,

Bob Waldo

--
It seemed the world was divided into good and bad people. The good
ones slept better... while the bad ones seemed to enjoy the waking