[SATLUG] Time Warner Cable

Aaron Hackney aaron at aaronhackney.com
Mon May 23 16:36:24 CDT 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 3:50 PM,  <gbear14275 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello SATLUG,
>
> I pay 40.99 for the top tier cable internet plan with Time Warner Cable
> month to month... and nothing more. I've found with netflix, hulu and other
> video offerings available online... who needs cable. I'll sign back up when
> it makes sense to me... but that probably wont be till all-vid adapters or
> FTTH at the least.

I cut the satellite cord last year and did my viewing through "other
means" and the basic networks on the cable-box-less cable that gets
fed with my cable Internet.  I have recently bought a Boxee Box and
the new firmware is amazing. The "channels" lineup is great and the
selection and offering is incredible IMHO. Plus the full qwerty remote
is great. I'm relying on my SAbnzbd+ server less and less now :)

> [...]
> just moved from Syracuse to here and miss the $179.99/mo 20/20 business
> class FIOS I was on.
>
> And yes... I would believe it very much that cable companies would inhibit
> municipalities from getting into the ISP business... too much money and
> power in that market to let it go easily. Personally I think the
> infrastructure and content should be separated like with your traditional
> phone. Don't like your carrier? call and switch and keep all the same
> equipment, just change who you pay.
>
> Very Respectfully,
> Garrett Heaton
>
> PS Any body to freelance LAMP work? Looking for a sysadmin and/or developer
> to maintain a low volume online text based gaming site...
>
> On , MKDavis Jr <gtmo321 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>> Thank you to those of you who shared your thought and insights. Time
>> Warner channel 23 is now one of the c-span that I apparently previously
>> enjoyed.
>
>> My concern is with absence of choice in the move and the arbitrary action
>> of Time Warner. What ever I programs I had - is it not reasonable to expect
>> to keep them if they are still available?
>
>> ISP speed - we are slower than what Country(es)? Why?
>
>> Do I/we have options - AT&T is my other option - For the life of me, I've
>> never believed that the copper wired TELCo could deliver meaningful INTERNET
>> speed over slightly twisted pairs that was installed in my house in 1978.
>> Fiber is the answer, however AT&T appear to betting their future on
>> 'wireless'. Is it true that some is Austin, who claim to hate big government
>> is actively trying to prevent local government from getting in the internet
>> provider game for their citizens?
>

>> Is it true that "The american consumer will tolerate anything and pay for
>> the privilege"? Egypt anyone - Eli Pariser: Beware online "filter bubbles" |
>> Video on TED.com.
>

>> Mike
>

>> On 05/17/2011 02:32 PM, Nate wrote:
>

>> OT
>
>> Is there anyone else out there who is paying a princely sum and don'ta
>> want digital box..so much for cable deregulation and "more competition". I
>> received this from Time Warner cable when I noticed that the c-span channels
>> went missing:
>

>> I think we need a definition for 'princely sum.' I pay $125+tax for
>> 1-cable box; 1-dvr; all the channels except HBO, Showtime, etc.; home phone;
>> internet (20Mbs down, 5Mbs up). Others may consider that highway robbery,
>> but I think that is a fair price for what I get. What I don't like is the
>> two-year contract I had to agree to so that I would get that price, but as
>> long as the price is fixed there shouldn't be a problem.
>

>> Keep in mind that if you aren't happy with your service, depending on
>> where you live, there are options - AT&T, DirecTV, Dish, Grande, etc.
>

>> Now, if you want to talk about princely sums, lets talk about the mobile

"If you are scientifically literate, the world looks very different to
you. And that understanding empowers you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

Aaron Keith Hackney
aaron at aaronhackney.com
Cell 210.325.2196
http://aaronhackney.com