[SATLUG] Time Warner Cable

Kyle Chrisman kyle at kylechrisman.com
Mon May 23 23:10:12 CDT 2011


Always a pleasure.  In another life before my career lead me to the 
Hosting sector and Rackspace I worked for a local ISP in Alltel 
territorey down in Sugar Land, TX that afforded me a unique opportunity 
to be on a first name basis with the Alltel engineers at the local CO 
and at their national ATM switching centers.  I learned a LOT about the 
back haul of the internet working with those guys.

They are now Windstream and I'm more familiar with them than most other 
carriers.  AT&T/SBC has different provisioning techniques but the 
premise and fundamental technology that drives it are identical 
regardless of telco territory.  To understand why they say "no you can't 
do that", you have to understand the build out when the infrastructure 
was put in.  Personally I chalk it up to any other dated technology we 
get pissed off about when we can't customize it 10 years passed its 
shelf life.  Nature of the beast I guess.  Sometimes, I have to try 
really hard to just understand that man's creations are finite and 
feeble.  We are simply not capable of infinite scalability in anything 
we do.

I still remember when Alltel bought into NASCAR, elected Ryan Newman as 
their driver and in the Dickies 500 the pit crew put the tires on 
backwards which ended in Newman being put into the wall at 200mph.  Many 
wise cracks in the dark corners of Alltel that day suggesting that the 
pit crew were secretly replaced with Alltel's engineers.  Circa 2003 I 
believe.

I'll never ever forget the day one of their field crew showed up with an 
illegal immigrant to install an OC3 and the engineer actually told this 
Mexican guy in Spanish thinking we wouldn't understand him, not to drop 
the wrench or touch these 2 contacts because if he did it would kill him.

If Windstream ever really gets under your skin.... just remember that 
their first line techs are required to record (type) EVERYTHING you say 
over the phone... everything. :-)  Have fun with that if you wish.  I'm 
just sayin...

Gotta get some sleep.

Cheers.

Kyle


On 5/23/2011 10:42 PM, hc at lookcee.com wrote:
> Thanks Kyle, this was informative for me. I just last period had my Life Line subsidy revoked, dunno why, my eligibility did not change. This jumped my bare bones POTS+ DSL that cost me $38.xxmo  (I get 160kbs down don't do up so it serves.)
>
> I just had to call CS to ask why my bill jumped to $55+ so in the debate I found that I now have to renew the LL CR every yr. They failed to send out renewal forms. Windstream said that yes I could drop the POTS line but then the mo bill would be $53mo (from $55 saved two bucks mo). After much discussion they finally agreed to CR me the $16 this mo and send me the renewal form to get renewed before next bill period so that I can continue with both lines at $38.... go figure.
> hh
>
>
>
>
> DSL without a dial tone is called a dry loop.  I believe it came about
> as a compromise the FCC agreed to during a typical government telco war
> back in 2005.  Major telco's were required to offer it for a period of 2
> years and most of the major ones still do if you know how to ask for it.
>
> Most of the time, the telcos will require you to sign up for a bundle
> first so if you are new to it or even at a new location on the same
> carrier don't bother asking for it.  Sign up for the DSL bundle then
> call them back after the DSL is activated and tell them to drop the dial
> tone since you don't want the POTS line.  You don't need the dial tone
> for DSL and the only reason a carrier requires it is money and
> inconvenience for customizing the loop to your address for as long as
> you have the service.  They don't like doing it because once you cancel
> they have to send someone out to put it back... keep reading...
>
>
> Dry loops are basically just loop circuits from the telco's CO to your
> address through the neighborhood DSLAM.  In a typical POTS
> configuration, there is a POTS splitter at the DSLAM that splits the
> signal before it travels to the demarcation point at your house.  They
> will have to issue a truck roll to the DSLAM to uncouple the service
> which is another reason telco's don't like doing them because it breaks
> their standard config.  So for the next person to live at your address
> they will have to issue a truck roll to the DSLAM to couple it back.  It
> costs them nominal money and time so it costs you a monthly fee as a
> deterrent.  Its one of those 5 minute changes that takes a week to
> coordinate.
>
> Telcos rolled out DSL in the early 2000's as a way to deliver high speed
> internet WITH phone service.  That is why its bundled because their
> initial build out of the service offering was not meant to be flexible.
> They rolled it out that way because back then that is the way we the
> public required it... high speed internet that didn't tie up the phone line.
>
> Dry loops as a service are often more expensive than bundled service
> because with a bundled service they can get you for more money in
> multiple ways where as with a single service you have limited their
> revenue stream from you.  Therefore you will pay more money for the
> pleasure of being different.  Like I said though, you'll have to sign up
> for the bundled service first then drop the POTS line after the DSL is
> activated.
>
> Carriers who don't offer dry loops or who refuse to do a dry loop
> initially will often concede to giving you a metered POTS line bundled
> with your DSL.  Again... take the $7-$10 metered line, wait a month or
> two and then start calling them to drop the POTS line until they give it
> to you.
>
> When it comes down to the bottom line, not the price per service, a dry
> loop is ALWAYS cheaper but you will pay an extra fee for a dry loop with
> no dial tone and most likely for making them order a truck roll to the
> DSLAM to uncouple the service.
>
> Hope that helps.  Sorry for the spam if anyone doesn't care.
>
> RE: CLEAR...
> I use CLEAR at the house and have been happy with it though I think we
> do get rate limited on occasion.  My wife and I can't afford much more
> right now and I didn't want to deal with latency due to the original
> wiring in our 50 year old house.  For us it was just smarter to go WiMAX
> since we lived mere blocks between 2 towers on the NE side of San
> Antonio.  Signal drops out in really bad weather though... "red" stuff
> on the weather radar maps but I'd rather watch the rain when that
> happens anyway.
>
> Main reason I think we went with CLEAR was because at Christmas they
> offered the modem for free on a 2 year agreement for just the home use
> service ($40 or $45 a month) and because if we decide to break the
> contract... its only $45 bucks as opposed to several hundred in prorate
> fees, etc. with any other carrier.  Until we can get some things taken
> care of, buy a big flat screen TV to mount on the wall and afford
> another high end tv/internet bundle... 4mb down, 1mb up is more than
> sufficient for my wife and I to stream on hulu every night, etc.  CLEAR
> does not presently have a hard cap on this service but I know they are
> not capable of more than about 6mbps so given the over head we
> consistently see 4-5 megs unless they start rate limiting us due to a
> day's worth of heavy downloading.  I suppose it depends on your needs.
> For us, CLEAR was the right fit since we're pretty modest when it comes
> to internet usage these days.  Just so many things I'd rather be doing
> offline I guess.
>
> Cheers.
>
> Kyle
>
> On 5/23/2011 8:59 PM, Steev Klimaszewski wrote:
>> On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Me<ftm at satx.rr.com>   wrote:
>>> Does anyone have experience with CLEAR?  I was curious about their service
>>> and availability?  Most of the channels offered by the cable companies are
>>> available online and can fairly easily be routed to your TV set.
>> In addition to my 65Mbps down/5Mbps up that I have with Grande, I also
>> have one of CLEAR's little 4G hotspot, it's definitely decent to have,
>> but you have to be careful with how much you download otherwise they
>> can (and will) rate-limit you.  I don't recall how much it is, and
>> even after explaining to them why I transfer so much data, they still
>> wouldn't un-rate-limit me.  I keep it around because it's nice to have
>> an internet connection in my pocket.



More information about the SATLUG mailing list