[SATLUG] Accidentally disabled all Broadcom drivers

hc at lookcee.com hc at lookcee.com
Wed May 25 19:49:53 CDT 2011

On 05/25/2011 03:34 PM, Don Davis wrote:
> I was helping someone to install Broadcom drivers on his Ubuntu box.
> Unfortunately, I also managed to hose the (working) drivers for the
> built-in ethernet port. Given that this machine can no longer connect
> to the outside world, how might I restore connectivity/ drivers?
> (Modprobe b43 ssb wl didn't suffice. The firmware tar is on the
> machine - however the version of fwcutter did not recognize its
> md5sum.)

Probably a second computer and a thumbdrive. Get the new version of
fwcutter that recognizes the md5 and sneakernet it over.

David

Ah yes learn sumpin every day .... where to file ...? maybe in 30,000bits of esoteric data .... big prob

Sneakernet is a slang term describing the transfer of electronic information, especially computer files, by physically couriering removable media such as magnetic tape, floppy disks, compact discs, USB flash drives, or external hard drives from one computer to another. This is usually in lieu of transferring the information over a computer network. The name is a tongue-in-cheek reference to sneakers.

Sneakernet, whether called that or not, is often used as an academic example to illustrate the trade-off between latency and bandwidth.

Thanks David LOL
hh