[SATLUG] Rackspace Discount?

Jonathan Kelley jonkelley at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:42:22 CDT 2011

Sadly I am aware of no discounts to the offerings for SATLUG members.

Rackspace has never tried to cater to the bargain market only because
they are keen on focusing on the highest level of service, which to be
sustainable also comes at a higher price.

On AWS, I've managed and still manage some projects which run on AWS.
You have to spend some insane amount to get email support at a
minimum. Whenever they have one of their "outages" the forums are your
only hope for voice, and their techs have a 24-48 hour lead time to
respond from that medium on a good day.

I don't know how many volumes I've tried to detach during scheduled
maintenance on a production AWS system only for the detach to get
stuck in "detaching" for 6+ hours, and no reply from support for at
least 7 days. It's happened more then once!

I'd rather have a number to call or an email address. I've migrated as
many projects as possible to Rackspace where support is available. The
service level is more important then the cost sometimes.

I now work for Rackspace, so my opinions could be biased.

<<My personal opinions do not reflect the opinions of Rackspace or
it's subsidiaries and all of that stuff>>