[SATLUG] Ubuntu Init Levels

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:57:14 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 09:43, Dylan Nelson <cold2na at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know back and forth how to change the fedora/rhel/centos init levels so I
> can start from the console instead of the X system. How do I do this from
> /within Ubuntu? I am getting input over load from Google searches and the
> conclusive statement seems to be the same : "Uninstall Ubuntu" (lol).
> Any quick howto?
> Dylan

So... in general upstart, Ubuntu's replacement for sysVinit, replaced a lot
of bits like this.  I don't have a Ubuntu box to look at, but on my RHEL6
box that uses Upstart, the /etc/inittab only contains the default runlevel
line now.  Everything else has been replaced with files in /etc/init/.  It
appears that Red Hat kept the file to make the transition easier.  Looking
around I found the following:

http://nixcraft.com/linux-software/2654-ubuntu-set-default-runlevel-etc-inittab.html#post5141(stay
with post 2).

seems like an overly complicated way to do that to me, but *shrug* so i
looked a bit more and found this:

http://coffeecode.net/archives/203-Changing-the-default-run-level-in-Ubuntu-9.10-Karmic-Koala.html

the snarkiness is great, but a bit more info would have been nice.  however
I'm saying that without having a copy of the file to look at, maybe there
isn't anything else to say?

-greg