[SATLUG] Ubuntu Init Levels

mark mark at kandm-solutions.com
Mon Nov 14 11:08:36 CST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 09:43 -0600, Dylan Nelson wrote:
> I know back and forth how to change the fedora/rhel/centos init levels so I
> can start from the console instead of the X system. How do I do this from
> /within Ubuntu? I am getting input over load from Google searches and the
> conclusive statement seems to be the same : "Uninstall Ubuntu" (lol).
> Any quick howto?
> Dylan

update-rc.d is the command that will allow to control startup
priorities. It is somewhat like checkconfig in red-hat type systems but
not quite as straight forward.

update-rc.d -f gdm3 remove

may do what you want

update-rc.d gdm3 defaults

might put it back after you resolve your issues

read the man page, it has some examples