[SATLUG] Ubuntu Init Levels

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 11:38:00 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:24, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> mark wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 09:43 -0600, Dylan Nelson wrote:
>>
>>> I know back and forth how to change the fedora/rhel/centos init levels
>>> so I
>>> can start from the console instead of the X system. How do I do this from
>>> /within Ubuntu? I am getting input over load from Google searches and the
>>> conclusive statement seems to be the same : "Uninstall Ubuntu" (lol).
>>> Any quick howto?
>>> Dylan
>>>

>> update-rc.d is the command that will allow to control startup
>> priorities. It is somewhat like checkconfig in red-hat type systems but
>> not quite as straight forward.
>>

>> update-rc.d -f gdm3 remove
>>
>> may do what you want
>>
>> update-rc.d gdm3 defaults
>>

> What is the problem that systemd/upstart were trying to fix again?

systemd -> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html

i couldn't find similar for upstart, but i know it was about parallelizing
and speeding up boot, adding event driven behaviour, and maintaining
backwards compatibility with sysvinit scripts (rc.d not inittab).

update-rc.d is not an upstart thing though.. thats just how debian based
distros do chkconfig.  so what was stated above would work pre/post upstart.