[SATLUG] Ubuntu Init Levels

Greg Swift gregswift at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:02:03 CST 2011

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 11:50, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg Swift wrote:
>
>  systemd -> http://0pointer.de/blog/**projects/why.html<http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html>
>>
>> i couldn't find similar for upstart, but i know it was about parallelizing
>> and speeding up boot, adding event driven behaviour, and maintaining
>> backwards compatibility with sysvinit scripts (rc.d not inittab).
>>
>> update-rc.d is not an upstart thing though.. thats just how debian based
>> distros do chkconfig.  so what was stated above would work pre/post
>> upstart.
>>

> Oh, I see.  My system takes 8 seconds to get to the login prompt.  I can
> see where that would be an issue <not>.
>
> In common distros, what takes a long time is having 10000 driver modules
> included with the kernel and checking all of them for applicability every
> time the system boots.

I'm not gonna defend one way or the other, but unless you are gonna put
some significant effort into coming up with a way to make what you just
stated as a problem implementable and accessible to all end users, then
great.  These projects are an effort to fix the problems in a way the
people feel it can be fixed.