[SATLUG] hello from Bay Area - got my car stolen - wanna track via bluetooth/WiFi & Linux

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Wed Nov 16 01:28:09 CST 2011

Okay now that I've got your attention, my car was stolen with $5k of stuff in it.

There's multiple electronic devices - iPhone, iPad, android, and two laptops.

I want to find out any Linux-friendly dongles for WiFi and Bluetooth that might
allow me to scan the vicinity for the MAC addresses (or whatever bluetooth
uses) of my own devices.

More generally, I just want to know dongles that are known to work for WiFi with
Linux.

I don't even know where else to ask these questions.

I'm back to using my 1GB 32-bit HP 2133 since two laptops were stoeln:

http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/hp_2133_links.html

Numerous Linux questions there.

Also, I'm finding that my eth0 isn't managed by NetworkManager.
Instead, /etc/init.d/networking starts it, so if I move my mobile
device, I need to manually change that.  What gives?
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/ | Perche la minestra si fredda