[SATLUG] I want to be a Linux SysAdmin, where do I start?

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 23 17:54:22 CST 2011

Get a job at hostgator or something like that.  They wont pay you a whole heck of alot but it will get your foot in the door.  Thats all you need.   There was a recent job posting on SATLUG, look at what they want...read up on that, learn it, know it..live it.  There are a ton of "Linux admins" but not a ton of good ones.

Another place to get your foot in is govt work.  They pay more (because contracts sometimes drop and you end up jobless) and you can network..meet other folks in your profesion..jump elsewhere etc.  For govt work, get certs...thats more valuable to them than a degree.  You gotta know your stuff though.

-Alex