[SATLUG] NFS super slow on Debian

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 29 07:16:09 CST 2011

--- On Mon, 11/28/11, Don Wright <satlug at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

From: Don Wright <satlug at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [SATLUG] NFS super slow on Debian
Date: Monday, November 28, 2011, 11:45 PM

>Conjecture 1:
>What is the underlying file system on the FreeNAS box?
>Why aren't you using the amd64 FreeNAS release? Does your SC440 have a
>non-64-bit Celeron?
>
>See http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Hardware_Requirements

Nice catch!  In the excitement of setting up my NAS I completely overlooked (missed) the link to the 64-bit version.  Being that its not working,  I will install the 64-bit version.

>Conjecture 2:
>What is the network hardware? I've seen dramatic differences with a
>change of gigabit switch vendors. (The Macbook might send packets
>differently than Linux.)

Netgear N600.  I have a Netra X1 that runs Solaris 10.. I'll test its xfer rate to the FreeNAS box after I reinstall 64bit FreeNAS.

I'll reply after more testing.

Thanks!