[SATLUG] APM in Linux/Ubuntu

Frank Huddleston fhuddles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 1 15:21:50 CDT 2011

Travis,

    I think ACPI is favored over APM these days. I have Ubuntu (10.4),
Debian, and NetBSD computers. I regularly put the Linux computers to
sleep using the "pm-suspend" command.
I think you are correct about the wake-on-LAN needing some kind of
motherboard/BIOS setup to work correctly: I remember there was a jumper
or cable on a ethernet card I got that was supposed to connect to the
motherboard for that purpose: if the motherboard supported wake-on-lan.
But a lot of them do, especially nowadays, so you should just try it and
see if it works. On Linux I use the "etherwake" command to do this to a
computer on my LAN.
On the NetBSD computer I use "wakeup": etherwake didn't seem to be
available.
   There are a bunch of scripts that control what the ACPI system does
when transitioning to and from different states. I don't know enough
about the details of those to give you any useful advice: I just mention
that they are there.  /etc/pm and /etc/acpi contain some of them.

I hope this helps.

Frank Huddleston