[SATLUG] Off topic - hard drives

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri Oct 7 11:53:18 CDT 2011

On Oct 7, 2011, at 11:13 AM, Michael wrote:

> Somewhere recently, I just saw a thread of Seagate vs. WD.  Now, I can't find it.  Please give me opinions on the following two drives. {My Linux box just died  ;(   }

Seagate makes drives for a while variety of customer types, including some serious Enterprise customers who need highly reliable media.  Generally speaking, even for their consumer-oriented drives, they don't use bottom of the barrel components.

Western Digital, OTOH, seems to orient themselves exclusively towards the consumer, and pushes the lowest possible prices whatever the consequences.

As a result, it has been my experience that Seagate is generally much more reliable than WD.  Sure, they're typically not first out of the gate with whatever the latest & greatest capacity or prices are, but the result is that you get better quality drives that are more likely to last a longer period of time.

Keep in mind that this is a very personal issue, and I'm sure that there are others on the list who've had no end of problems with their specific Seagate drives and would recommend the opposite.

But when you look at large quantities of drives over a long period of time, it has been my experience that Seagate generally has the best quality available in the business.