[SATLUG] Off topic - hard drives

Lance Schneider schneider.lh at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 13:06:03 CDT 2011

Yes. I would be one of those from experience in enterprise environments who
has had precisely the opposite experience of Brad. This does nothing to
answer your question beyond the six of one half a dozen of another
consensus. In general practice, either should be fine and both could easily
disappoint. The one thing I can say is that a lot of drives get returned to
vendors that are not actually faulty but corrupted. A low-level, all zero
format of a drive will pick up bad sectors and replace those from the good
spares designed into each and every drive. Once in a while an actual defect
in the mechanism will render the drive useless. You are left to go with your
gut on a partcular vendor and purchase and getting the cutting edge product
from any vendor is risky. There should be plenty of Internet response to a
particular model and its history of customer satisfaction or issues to help
guide you. I cannot tell you with certainty that one make is better than
another but I can rference tales of woe for select models by vendor.