[SATLUG] Off topic - hard drives

Robert Pearson e2eiod at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 01:16:24 CDT 2011

On Fri, Oct 7, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Michael <mmorse757 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Somewhere recently, I just saw a thread of Seagate vs. WD.  Now, I can't
> find it.  Please give me opinions on the following two drives. {My Linux box
> just died  ;(   }
>

> Seagate ST380215A Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive - 80GB, 7200rpm, 2MB, EIDE,
> OEM
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2948583&CatId=134>
> Item #: THD-80AA4
> _COMPARE_
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=134&name=Internal%20IDE%20PATA#>
>                *Seagate ST380215A Barracuda 7200.10 Hard Drive - 80GB,
> 7200rpm, 2MB, EIDE, OEM*
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2948583&CatId=134>
> The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 is the most reliable disc drive around. New
> perpendicular recording technology supports vertically stored data bits.
> $44.99
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/cgi-bin/order.asp?EdpNo=2948583&QTY=1&ClickSource=SLC>
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2948583&CatId=134>
>

> In Stock
> *Manufacturer: Seagate
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/search.asp?keywords=Seagate>*
>
> Avg. Rating:
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2948583&Tab=11&NoMapp=>
>

> 5.
> Western Digital WD800AAJB Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 3.5", 7200 RPM, 80GB,
> PATA, 8MB, OEM
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5374842&CatId=134>
> Item #: THD-80AAJB
> _COMPARE_
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=134&name=Internal%20IDE%20PATA#>
>                *Western Digital WD800AAJB Caviar Blue Hard Drive - 3.5",
> 7200 RPM, 80GB, PATA, 8MB, OEM*
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5374842&CatId=134>
> With SATA and PATA interfaces, cache sizes ranging from 2 MB to 16 MB, this
> hard drive offers a full range of performance features.
> $44.99
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/cgi-bin/order.asp?EdpNo=5374842&QTY=1&ClickSource=SLC>
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5374842&CatId=134>
>

> In Stock
> *Manufacturer: Western Digital
> <http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/search.asp?keywords=Western%20Digital>*
>

> --

I ran a Google search of "Seagate vs. WD" and got about 4,580,000
results (0.20 seconds)

Most Promising Search Results

    Seagate vs WD - Hard-Disks - Storage
<http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/187743-32-samsung-seagate>
    4 posts - 4 authors - Last post: Apr 3
    i am looking for some good components for a PC that i hope to
build an was wondering which one of these hard drives would be the
best? ...
    WD vs Samsung vs Seagate‎ - 21 posts - May 7, 2011
[Most Recent] <http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268004-32-seagate>
    Seagate,Samsung or WD?‎ - 11 posts - Dec 7, 2010
    Seagate and Western Digital Reliability‎ - 50 posts - Feb 21, 2010
    seagate vs. WD‎ - 5 posts - Jun 12, 2004

    More results from tomshardware.com »

My choice and experience in my "light duty" personal computing use is
WD. Mainly for price.
In my Enterprise experience I never saw a WD drive. Seagate was "The
Drive" of choice. Now there are some others. All with names like
Fujitsu, Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba, etc.
IBM makes a very good drive but only the wealthy can afford them.
One of the best drives I ever evaluated was made in Russia but each
drive had to be ransomed separately and there was no guarantee it
would arrive alive.
Quality and reliability does vary between WD drive product lines. I
usually read any reviews, look at pricing and what is selling on the
main sites like Newegg and others.
Caveat Emptor... let the buyer beware

All drives fail. We lost a whole Data Center to a bad batch of Seagate
drives. Took 4 weeks to recover. Too long in today's market.
I don't use classic backups. I just write everything to 3 different
physical drives in different locations if I want to keep it around. I
have even had problems here where the original source Information
became corrupted and got copied corrupted. Personal computing is much
less stressful than Enterprise.