[SATLUG] Off topic - hard drives

Othniel Graichen othniel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 23:17:13 CDT 2011

When it comes to hard drives, quality is king and capacity is queen.

So even if I buy refurbished systems, I still insist on buying new Hard
Drives.

I get them from NewEgg.com.  Why?  the customer feedback.  When

manufacturers quit making IDE switching over to SATA exclusively on their

new lines, I began to look at external USB storage as an alternative.

They ran a lot of specials on Seagate, but I never got one because of

all the DOA and failed drive reports about Seagate units in the Newegg

customer feedback section.  This has subsided lately, However, WD does

make quality products I like the engineering in their Passport and Element

series of USB drives and haven't had a failed drive of theirs yet.

My feeling is that I wouldn't throw away a Seagate drive, but I wouldn't

spend money on one either.  Some people said they wouldn't put any

of their data on one even in a RAID configuration.  Your choice,  but

that's where things were 2 years ago.  You can't stay in business

with that kind of reputation,   And they are still in business -- so they

must have fixed the problem.  So I would go with WD Caviar Black.

7200 RPM and 64MB cache instead of the 2MB Seagate or 8MB
WD listed from TigerDirect.

And dont be afraid of the 5400 rpm drives.  They are not slow.

A nice WD cache makes them run at 1:1 interleave speed.  And

they run cooler and last longer than 7200 rpm drives.

10k and 15k rpm drives have a history of quick turnover.

Check here:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=14&name=Internal-Hard-Drives

They sell Seagate and WD.  Hitachi bought IBM's storage division.

They invented the perpendicular recording technology.

I also have personal experience with SAMSUNG.  They also make good drives.

Seagate is the only manufacturer still around that I have heard anything
negative

about.  Newegg also has factory refurbished drives at steep discounts.

Enjoy