[SATLUG] Off topic - hard drives

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Tue Oct 11 13:39:27 CDT 2011

Michael wrote:
>Somewhere recently, I just saw a thread of Seagate vs. WD.  Now, I can't
>find it.  Please give me opinions on the following two drives. {My Linux
>box just died  ;(   }

For me, the most reliable drive is the one you can lose and not notice.
That means RAID, LVM mirroring, and/or another of the high-availability
techniques. Add in *tested* backups, archived previous configurations,
and enough spares to rebuild or substitute for any failures and you're
as close to Murphy-proof as humanly possible. (Don't forget the human is
also a failure-prone component.)

Reliability is a practice, not a product. Big shops follow these
practices because they can quantify the costs of prevention versus
intervention. Home users should adopt as many as feasible because
'spare' time is really hard to buy.