[SATLUG] Re: Off topic - hard drives

Jeremy Z zunkworks at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 16:56:24 CDT 2011

Ok, fair warning: the code isn't that great, but it's "good enough", use at
your own risk, etc, blah blah blah. Oh yeah, it's written in python.

https://code.google.com/p/newegg-storage-analysis/

I generally load the tab delimited output data into LibraOffice Calc to do
sorting, filtering, etc...

One thing I noticed is that Newegg doesn't actually sort "Best Rating"
correctly. Looking at a few drives, occasionally there will be multiple
items with the same rounded average rating that aren't sorted in the same
order as their actual average rating.
ex:
Order -   Item   -  Rounded -  ActualAvg
  1     - Item A -        4      -  4.317581654
  2     - Item B -        4      -  4.444198078
  3     - Item C -        4      -  4.304396078

And related to buying tons of quality drives, these guys make their own
135TB storage units for about $7,500:
http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/petabytes-on-a-budget-v2-0revealing-more-secrets/
And of course they're powered by linux (Debian actually). See their blog for
more details http://blog.backblaze.com/.

-Jeremy