[SATLUG] RIP Dennis Ritchie, co-inventor of C and UNIX.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Oct 13 13:02:03 CDT 2011

On Oct 13, 2011, at 12:05 PM, Jonathan Kelley wrote:

> I still think it's weird people bow to Steve Jobs as if he built the first
> Apple (I thought wozniac did.) It's weird they act like he invented the ipod
> and itunes.
>
> Engineers invented these things.

There's a reason why over 300 patents include the name "Steve Jobs" on them.  He may have been a business guy, but he was also an incredibly intelligent and driven person, with an ability to quickly cut through the bullshit like few others, and he did have quite a few very original ideas.  He understood his market and his customers and what they really needed, as opposed to what they might say that they want.

Sure, there were plenty of other people who had an equally important role to play, but the Apple I would never have been created if it weren't for Steve Jobs, and I think that the same can be said for most of the other things that were created by Apple.  Some sort of "personal computer" may have been inevitable, but it almost certainly wouldn't have looked anything like the Apple I and I seriously doubt that it would have had the same impact.

Everybody has their part to play in this world, and in that respect Steve Jobs was no different.  I don't discount the contributions that he made to this world, nor do I place him on an unassailable pedestal.

He was a human being, and I believe we are all a little less for the loss.