[SATLUG] RIP Dennis Ritchie, co-inventor of C and UNIX.

Mike Wallace m.a.wallace at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 13:29:23 CDT 2011

It's not weird at all.  For many people, they can't relate to a nameless,
unknown engineer, but they can see the public face of a company or
organization.  Jobs was a great salesman, so he was naturally the face of
Apple and their products.  Dennis Ritchie is an example of that nameless,
unknown engineer.  All of us know him because of his contributions to Unix
and C, but there isn't any reason for those outside our tech circles to know
who he was.  It's unfair to compare the two because they operated in two
totally different spheres.

While an engineer invents and creates, it is extremely important to have
good marketing and good salesmen.  I think of those poor engineers who
invented OS/2.  On the engineering side, it was head and shoulders above
Microsoft, but the marketing was terrible and the product failed because of
it.  Anyway, the point is that it is rare for a product to survive on good
engineering alone.  The chicken might have been engineered to be tasty, but
without the Tysons of the world we wouldn't know it.