[SATLUG] RIP Dennis Ritchie, co-inventor of C and UNIX.

country glenn.toothman at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 15:33:15 CDT 2011

While working for AT&T, I got to meet Dennis Ritchie in NJ.  He is a very
likeable guy.

I'm assuming you are referring to Steve Jobs and Billy Gates in your
message.   Jobs and Wosniak were great innovators however, they were very
hardware based, now Gates, who took a copy of Birkley UNIX and crippled it,
making enough changes to it to qualify for a copywright, then sold it to IBM
for huge amounts of money.

Dennis will be really missed, I enjoyed the short afternoon I worked with
him on SV-R4 back in the late 80's.

Glenn

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Jonathan Kelley <jonkelley at gmail.com>wrote:

> Steve and Jobs should be looked up to as amazing business leaders who
> through fantastic leadership and business practices managed to build
> powerful companies.
>
> Dennis was a genius pioneer of computer science, and revolutionized
> computing.
>
> These people shouldn't even be compared to Dennis because it's not even the
> same thing. Computer scientists are different from business leaders.
>
> --
> Jon

Ft. Leonard Wood MO '65
Ft. Devens MA '65-'66