[SATLUG] RIP Dennis Ritchie, co-inventor of C and UNIX.

Steev Klimaszewski threeway at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 17:24:51 CDT 2011

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM, country <glenn.toothman at gmail.com> wrote:
> While working for AT&T, I got to meet Dennis Ritchie in NJ.  He is a very
> likeable guy.
>
> I'm assuming you are referring to Steve Jobs and Billy Gates in your
> message.   Jobs and Wosniak were great innovators however, they were very
> hardware based, now Gates, who took a copy of Birkley UNIX and crippled it,
> making enough changes to it to qualify for a copywright, then sold it to IBM
> for huge amounts of money.
>
> Dennis will be really missed, I enjoyed the short afternoon I worked with
> him on SV-R4 back in the late 80's.
>

> Glenn

Everything not withstanding, MS DOS was based on QDOS, which was in
turn, based on CP/M, not Berkley UNIX.

As for the loss of Ritchie, that is very sad, and someone like him has
done more for the industry than someone like Jobs.  It's kind of
annoying to see all the fapping on the various websites about how
amazing Jobs was, and then look around and see very little written
about the loss of Ritchie (comparatively); but that's how the world
works.  People remember the loud and obnoxious, not the silent and
diligent.