[SATLUG] postfix and mailman

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 15:07:51 CDT 2011

I'm having a configuration problem that I hope someone can help me with.

I have a server that is home to two different domains, domain1.org and
domain2.org.

http to www.domain1.org and www.domain2.org work fine.

I have mailman set up so email1 at domain1.org works fine.

I was able to set up a 2nd mailman instance using domain2.org and the
web interface to that works.

The problem is that postfix rejects mail to email2 at domain2.org.
with "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table"

I did set up in /etc/postfix/virtual_alias_domains as

   domain2.org  20111020

and virtual_alias_maps as

   bdubbs at domain2.org bdubbs at localhost

and mail gets delivered to me OK.  I tried setting the mailman aliases
in virtual_alias_maps .e.g.

   email2 at domain2.org        "|/srv/mailman/mail/mailman post email2"

but postfix then gives me 'status=bounced (unknown user:
"|/srv/mailman/mail/mailman post email2"'

There is a file, /srv/mailman/data/aliases, that appears to be set up
properly, but mailman doesn't seem to want to use it for domain2
(domain1 is OK).

Can anyone help me with the postfix configuration so mailman can handle
this 2nd mailing list?

   -- Bruce