[SATLUG] postfix and mailman

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:58:21 CDT 2011

J Lavin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm having a configuration problem that I hope someone can help me with.
>>
>> I have a server that is home to two different domains, domain1.org and
>> domain2.org.
>>
>> http to www.domain1.org and www.domain2.org work fine.
>>
>> I have mailman set up so email1 at domain1.org works fine.
>>
>> I was able to set up a 2nd mailman instance using domain2.org and the web
>> interface to that works.
>>
>> The problem is that postfix rejects mail to email2 at domain2.org.
>> with "Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual alias table"
>>
>> I did set up in /etc/postfix/virtual_alias_domains as
>>
>>  domain2.org  20111020
>
> Just checking, but did you run postmap afterward?
>
> "Execute the command "postmap /etc/postfix/virtual" after changing the
> virtual file, and execute the command "postfix reload" after changing
> the main.cf file."
> -- http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

OK, thanks.  I think I've got it working.  I was trying too hard.  I
didn't need to create virtual_alias_domains and virtual_alias_maps, run
postmap and set it up in main.cf.  All that was unnecessary.

The only thing I needed was to update 'mydestination' in main.cf to add
the new domain.

Your pointer was very helpful.

   -- Bruce