[SATLUG] Hard Drives 101

Garrett Heaton gbear14275 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 13:56:23 CDT 2011

Art,

I have a ASUS netbook with a broken screen you can have (I'll bring it
this thursday).  You can cannibalize it for its hard drive if it will
work for you.  I'm not 100% what it has in it since it was given to me
and once I realized the screen was shot i haven't touched it since.

And if you are really in need (and have someone waiting with need for
it)... I might be able to toss one of my 1TB hitachi's your way.  I
currently have 4 in a raid configuration but am not really using the
machine so I could afford to drop to 3 if need be.

Another thought might be to talk to a hardware vendor either in the
local area or one of the larger vendors like newegg and pitch your
program to them.  They might be willing perhaps to offer you drives at
cost.  If you could arrange that I would be willing to pitch into a
hat that we could consider passing at one of the SATLUG meetings to
try and help cover costs.  You might even consider having an "install
fest" with all your machines to give new people a chance to walk
through installations or otherwise get some "hands on" time at one of
our meetings.  That is always the best way to learn.

Hope this might help,
Garrett