[SATLUG] Hard Drives 101

J J zenbound at gmail.com
Sun Sep 4 21:42:26 CDT 2011

I have an lcd monitor that works. It's about 9 years old and probably won't
last many more years, but I imagine you could give it a  better home then I
can. I live downtown but have no car, so you'd need to pick it up.

Also if you need any technology volunteers in your ministry I'd be very
interested in helping.
On Sep 4, 2011 1:02 PM, "Arthur Hall" <art.hall at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> A word of thanks to you all, even though you didn't have to do anything
other than be available... yet.  In trying to word an e-mail to you all that
would help me solve a series of  deficiencies on a donated unit for a
refugee family, I talked myself through most of the problems without blowing
up the PC.  Learned a lot in the process and that's the good part.

> The donated Dell Optiplex GX 280 was equipped for SATA, but had no hard
drive.  It had only one IDE connector and that ran the DVD.  I have no SATA
drives on hand, but was able to attach an IDE HD and make it run fairly
well.  The largest working drive I had left, though, is small (20GB) and the
machine deserves something better.

> So, here's the pitch.  Does anyone have an extra SATA hard
> drive that I can beg, borrow, or steal?  Goodwill doesn't carry them and
there is little or no funding available for this computer ministry.  We have
been able to equip nearly 90 refugee families through donations of
equipment, time, and expertise and a lot of that came from SATLUGgers.
Many, many thanks.

> While I'm in the traditional begging position, I might as well share the
other current need.  I have seven PCs, lots of mice and keyboards, but only
one fully-working monitor available.  Anyone care to create some extra space
wherever workable-but-not-currently-being-used monitors are lurking around
the house?

> Again, many thanks.  The smiles of gratitude on the faces of the
recipients are a great reward that I wish I could pass on to all of you.