[SATLUG] read only usb fs

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Sat Sep 10 17:17:38 CDT 2011

> sometimes vfat partitions will get automounted with defaults. By default
> vfat has a mask that makes it read only. if this is the case you need to
> mount it with the option umask=0000.
> mount -t vfat /dev/??? /mount/point -o umask=0000
>
> after that you should be able to write to it

No go:

mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /mnt -o umask=0000
mount: block device /dev/sdb1 is write-protected, mounting read-only

It doesn't matter which position the read protection tab is in, it
will not change the result.

Trying to force r/w doesn't work either:

mount  -rw /dev/sdb1 /mnt -o umask=0000
mount: block device /dev/sdb1 is write-protected but explicit `-w' flag given

stumped...

-b.