[SATLUG] Assistive Tech for Blind User

Howard Haradon hharadon at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 12:00:31 CDT 2011

Some members may recall Cheryl Holmes who used to
post to the list from time to time.  Over the past year or
two she has lost her sight.  I have been working with her
to get her PC up and running and to find and install Linux
software to help her.  So far, she is using Orca to read the
screen, and it works fairly well.  We have tried the Gnome
Voice Control and Vedics speech recognition without much
success.  She is using Ubuntu 10.04 with Gnome.

Are there other programs to give her control over the cursor
or to give control of the Gnome GUI and Firefox using the
keyboard?  Or any blind-enabling software that might help?
She has not yet learned braille.

Thanks,  Howard
--
Howard Haradon