[SATLUG] Monitor Connections 101 Update Number Two

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Wed Sep 28 08:07:44 CDT 2011

Not sure what video card you are using - the drivers usually come with a
configuration tool that you can run and that would allow you to put the
external monitor into "clone" mode. Look for that, and then it wouldn't
act like a Xinerama display (a single desktop with 2 or more displays,
where
each display is a tile on the desktop). NB: when you set the second
monitor into clone mode, it helps if the second monitor has the same
physical resolution setting. If you wanted to enjoy full 1920x1200 for
your new HDTV, it would help if your laptop has the same resolution,
otherwise the second display will degrade to a lower resolution in clone
mode so it can display the same thing on both screens with the same
resolution (which is what "clone" means).

-Borries