[SATLUG] APM in Linux/Ubuntu

travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org travis+ml-satlug at subspacefield.org
Fri Sep 30 17:08:23 CDT 2011

Hi all,

After my recent $400+ power bill in CA, I was wondering if anyone knew
how to set up APM/ACPI and deal with (troubleshoot) the issues that
come up.

If not, suggested resources?

My systems are almost all Ubuntu.  I have a mythbuntu box for my
entertainment center which is idle 80+% of the time and I'd like it to
power down when not in use but I don't know how to do that in XFCE.

As for desktops, same deal.

And I'd also like Wake-on-LAN functionality so I can wake them up,
back them up, and let them go back to sleep, but... might be asking
too much.  Seems to require motherboard and BIOS support?  Anyone know
anything about that?  Might not go so well with encrypted storage :-)

All I gotta say is, UGH... PG&E is killing me.  Mostly it's the
computers (up to $100/mo) plus the A/C unit needed to bring the
temperature down - and it's not enough on hot days, runs full time.
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.