[SATLUG] domain issue

Garrett Heaton gbear14275 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 20:46:56 CDT 2012

I'm going to sound like an advertisement but I used to have a problem with
their prices as well.  I used to use a budget dedicated service option (
http://www.serverpronto.com/) but after some really poor experiences with
them I tried to quit.  I say tried because they kept billing me until I
cancelled my debit card and got a new one.  Before that I tried shared
hosting... site slowed to below a crawl... was unusable.  I then hosted
myself in the basement of my place with Verizon FIOS business class
connection (20/20 with 5 static IP's for 179.99) which seemed awesome.  But
the power bills went up $70/mo. and I moved (no equivalent ISP in TX). I
tried AWS after that but the servers were so slow they couldn't keep up.  I
finally moved to rackspace.  Their cloud instances are unmanaged and are
just like managing you own (root shell etc. because they are VM's).  Their
performance is better than my old dedicated server and the few times I've
had an issue, their customer service went above and beyond.

I saw their dedicated server prices and yeah, they are sky high!  I can't
recommend them (never used them).  The only thing I would recommend so far
would be their unmanaged cloud.  Those were the prices I said were good and
you manage your own machine like its a dedicated server.

Anyways... that's my recommendations... take them for what they are.

--Garrett