[SATLUG] domain issue

Alex Bartonek bartonekdragracing at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 23:16:45 CDT 2012

you're on the same track I was.. ok.. I will give the long version of this story.. bear with me..

My original site is bartonekdragracing.com, I've had that domain for about 9 years or so.  I've been hosting that site on various servers at the house over the years on RR via dyndns with a simple domain redirect.  When I originally bought the domain, the only thing that I changed was pointing it to themagicm.homelinux.org which was my DynDNS url, everything stayed the same for years.   When you went to a non-existant webpage, it brought up a generic 404 page from my server, all was well.

A few weeks ago, I wanted to write a blog about various crap I liked that was IT related, from programming, Unix admin to my adventures as a WebLogic Admin, so I registered thegeekprophet.com, all thru ehost.com.

bartonekdragracing.com was registered thru enom.com and the nameservers pointed to (If memory serves me correctly): dns1.name-services.com, dns2.name-services.com, dns3.name-services.com, dns4.name-services.com, dns5.name-services.com.

After I bought thegeekprophet.com, it pointed to themagicm.homelinux.org, which also pointed to the same server my other domain pointed to, except it was registered to tucows and its nameservers are ns1.ehost.com and ns2.ehost.com.

I installed Drupal (man I love it!) and thegeekprophet.com was created..and problems arose.   If I went to a non-existant webpage on thegeekprophet.com it would and does bring up some weird 404 page that doesnt originate from my server.

Yesterday for some stupid reason, I changed the nameservers on bartonekdragracing.com to ns1.ehost.com and ns2.ehost.com and now a 404 or a direct link to a EXISTING image or file on my server fails.  If I change my nameservers back to what they used to be, that domain does not resolve anymore.   Ehost tells me to check my website hosting provider and I tell them, I AM the provider!!!  Apparently they have negative level tech support and are dumb as hell.  So I gave up with them.

www.bartonekdragracing.com/uc.gif (under construction gif image) exists but fails with a 404.  Direct link to my domain's ip/uc.gif works fine.

Thats the long story...  whew...  :)